Hotel front office act as an important role in the hotel business as the front office are the one who represent hotel directly to the public is because they are the one who service with guest the most. They are the first expression to guest of a hotel and also the image of a hotel. They are responsible to do report, record and make reservation.
Necessary Skill Acquired as Hotel Front Office
As mention, only well trained front office staff are able to handle the daily heavy workload. Therefore, here are some necessary skill are required to become a hotel front office staff:
- Neat appearance.
- Problem solving skill.
- Able to perform multitasking.
- Able to speak multiple language.
- Able to work with flexible schedule.
- Able to stay calm when under pressure.
Responsibility & Duties of Hotel Front Office
The responsibility and duties as a hotel front office are highly related with customer satisfaction and important to the whole hotel process. Hotel front office staff must be in well trained condition only they can handle the heavy workload as a front office staff.
Below are the responsibility and duties as a hotel front office staff:
- Ensure room status.
- Manage phone call.
- Manage walk in traffic.
- Register and assign room to guest.
- Generate daily report (Auto Night Audit)
- Collect payment from guest upon check in.
- Ensure the cash amount were correct with the account on every shift change.
The above can be carry out by using Microsoft Excel or paper and pen manually. It will make staff to perform duplicate work and reduce their cost effectiveness. With Hotel Front Office System, it can help to solve these problem with just a couple of clicks.
Hotel Front Office System
The hotel front office system also know as the Property Management System (PMS). There are two different type of Hotel Front Office System which is the On-premise and Cloud Based.
Property management systems — both cloud-based and on-premise — are designed to automate a property’s operational processes, from front desk to back office, for greater efficiency. Modern PMS function as a property’s center of command for managing not only reservations, rates, rooms and guest billing, but also distribution, guest communications and service, housekeeping, accounting and reporting. In fact, the core functionality of a modern on-premise system and a cloud-based one is by and large the same.
On-Premise PMS VS Cloud Based PMS
On-premise vs Cloud Based. Each of the type are having different pros and cons, pricing, feature and accessibility. Now, let's go deep into it.
On-premise PMS is a software where you need to download the system, install and run it in your laptop or desktop. Today, we will let you know the pros and cons with using an on-premise PMS with your hotel.
Pros of On-Premise PMS
- Internet free :On-premise PMS are not dependent on internet.
- More secure :Due to it's stored locally, it cannot be accessed by anyone outside hotel premises which safeguards your data from a possible misuse or hack.
- Faster than clouds because they access data stored locally.
Cons of On-premise PMS
- No flexible accessibility. It is only install in devices, one devices one account only.
- Cannot be accessed outside hotel premises and over the internet.
- High pricing compare to cloud PMS. On-premise PMS required user pay for one year subscription fee in one time. Will be a huge investment as if the system are not suitable for the hotels.
- System crash can cost you important data. Fix - Take regular backups and store on multiple devices and/or on dropbox/google drive that can be used to restore data in-case of system crash.
- No regular auto update as new software updates need to be download and installed on the system.
Cloud Based PMS
Cloud based is meaning to be a software that need not to download but with having internet connection and browser will do. One of the benefit for using cloud based system is that they can provide unlimited user at one time using.
Pros of Cloud PMS
- Minimum Capital Investment: Most cloud solutions are pay as you go.
- Minimum Software and Hardware Requirements: All it requires is a stable internet connection and a PC.
- Ease of Access: Can be accessed from anywhere at anytime.
- Frequent automatic updates: Updates in the software systems are regularly pushed by the service provider and no update installations needs to be done on the system.
Cons of Cloud PMS
- Need of a stable internet: Since its cloud/web based solution, a stable internet connection is required for smooth working.
- Security: This poses as a con too in cloud PMS. Since it can be accessed from anywhere, a disgruntled or fired employee who has access to it, can modify/delete the data. Hence proper access to data should always be considered.