Hotel self-service kiosk comes in four varieties - standing kiosk, wall-mounted kiosk, vending kiosk / hybrid kiosk, and table-top kiosk. Each offers a different space utilization and a different touchpoint at your hotel lobby. It also comes at different price points.
Before going into the price range, if you haven't, read the articles we've compiled covering points that you will need to consider while sourcing your hotel kiosk hardware and hotel kiosk hardware and hotel kiosk software. These articles will serve as a reference point for the pricing table below.
In general, a complete set of hotel self-service kiosk prices ranges from RM 15,000 to RM 70,000 (USD 3,700 to USD 17,000). Do factor in the retaining fees (e.g. software, maintenance) if you are sourcing for a hotel kiosk.
All the kiosk suppliers offer different configuration parts - room key encoder, receipt printer, payment terminal, social card reader (MyKad reader for Malaysia), passport scanner, etc. Since hotels won't be using the same configuration part (e.g. room key system), I've removed that in the price comparison so we can have a fair comparison on the kiosk alone (regardless of the parts). In the second section titled "Hotel Kiosk Parts Price Reference", I've compiled also a reference price for these configuration parts for your reference.
Hotel Self Check-in Kiosk Price Range Table
So, what will be included in the kiosk price comparison below?
- The kiosk casing
- Touch panel
- PC (Windows compatible computer, Intel i5, 8GB RAM)
- Price does not cover shipping fees, Windows license.
- All the kiosks mentioned below will NOT work as hotel kiosks out-of-box because you will still need to add your configuration parts and software in order for it to work.
- We do NOT cover Android-based kiosks because we found that most of the configuration parts (e.g. hotel door lock system, room key dispenser) do NOT offer Android SDK yet. This might change in the future*
USD 2,100 to USD 4,900
RM 9,000 to RM 25,000
|Optimum space for hotel kiosk. Occupy less space at the lobby while offering good enough space for the configuration parts.
USD 600 to USD 900
RM 2,500 to RM 3,600
|Offer slightly less space to add configuration parts. Occupy less space. Might not be able to add a room key dispenser.
|Vending Kiosk / Hybrid Kiosk
USD 2,500 to USD 5,600
RM 10,000 to RM 23,000
|Offer additional vending capability (the only type in this table that generates revenue while serving as a kiosk). Ample space to add configuration parts.
USD 500 to USD 1,200
RM 2,000 to RM 5,000
|It has two screens - a customer facing touch panel and a front desk officer facing screen. Can also be used as the front desk officer computer (using hotel PMS)
Hotel Kiosk Parts Price Reference
- Room key encoder: RM 850 to RM 1,200 (does not include room keys and door lock)
- Room key dispenser: RM RM 615 to RM 850
- Passport scanner: RM 2,000 to RM 3,000
- MyKad reader: RM 50 to RM 100
- Receipt printer: RM 150 to RM 300
- Payment terminal: RM 500 to RM 1,000 (one-time setup fee. Does not include the monthly rental and transaction charges)
- Banknote acceptor and dispenser: RM 3,000 to RM 7,000
How do you know if a hotel has a failed or successful kiosk implementation?
There are three signs of failed hotel kiosk implementation:
- No guest review
- Uneasy front-desk officers
- Only install one unit (for a hotel chain)
- Hotel staff complains about it
Find out the signs of failed/successful hotel kiosk implementation in this article.
Do the hotel guests enjoy self-check-in?
This is additional info we've collected after deploying 13 kiosks in Malaysia. Do the guest like it? Yes. Is it perfect? No, there are still rooms for improvement (e.g. change of room, hourly bookings etc).
Here's a video of how Softinn Hotel Kiosk works.
Here's a screenshot of the guest reviews on OTAs (e.g. Agoda, booking.com), it's publicly available data that we can't fake.
All in all, the above can only be used as a reference when you source for a hotel kiosk supplier. It's a bad idea to source your own kiosk hardware and then try to find a hotel kiosk software. It's hard to get both to works if you don't have the engineering and domain expertise to build such a system. Having said that, however, the above should be sufficient for you to make an informed decision while you're sourcing for a hotel kiosk from the solution providers. At Softinn, we do offer a hotel kiosk solution. Try us out.
We interviewed hotels and asked them why the hotel kiosk is not popular, and here's what they have to say. Check out this article to find out the reasons and tips to spot a successful/fail hotel kiosk implementation.